Featured Publications:Renato Matos featured in Super Lawyers Magazine
Renato Matos is a Partner in the firm. Since joining the firm in 2009, Renato has primarily focused on the and Religious and Charitable Organizations, Real Estate, Corporate and Taxation areas of our practice.
Renato routinely represents religious and not-for-profit corporations on complex real estate transactions including purchases and sales, long-term ground leases, air rights transfers, joint ventures and affordable housing development projects. He is counsel to numerous denominational governing bodies, including the Atlantic District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, the Metropolitan New York Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Northeastern Conference of Seventh Day Adventists, as well as individual Baptist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist and non-denominational congregations. Renato focuses much of his time educating and protecting churches and their assets, as well as developing strategies for long-term asset growth to ensure the sustainability of the missions and ministries of his clients.
Renato also assists the firm’s clients in stock purchases/sales, asset purchases/sales, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and entity formation, with a particular focus on tax structuring and strategic business planning.
Prior to joining the firm, Renato worked as an attorney at a leading international law firm, where he focused on transactions involving clients and investments in the emerging markets, primarily South America.
Renato earned his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from the Hofstra University School of Law, where he was the editor-in-chief of the Hofstra Law Review. Renato was selected by the law school faculty to receive the “Outstanding Law Student Award.”
In 2015, Renato was selected by the New York Law Journal as a Rising Star—one of 50 lawyers under the age of 40 who have established a record of accomplishments and demonstrated that they are top contributors to the practice of law and their communities.
In 2017 and 2018 Renato was selected by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star, which recognizes no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in each state.
Renato is active in the community and regularly donates his time and expertise to numerous charitable organizations. He is on the Board of the Directors of the MS HOPE FOUNDATION, Lutheran Schools Association and the Council of Church Advisors.
- February 2019 – Mr. Matos will be featured on Radio AM570 The Mission weekly program
- March 6, 2019 Rise of Faith-Based Development Panel
- December 10, 2018 – Mr. Matos presented on Zoning Lot Mergers and Development Rights Transfers at the City Bar Center for CLE programs
- November 8, 2018 – Mr. Matos was a featured presenter at The Fourth Annual Interchurch Center Conference: Mission Driven Development
November 2, 2018 -Mr. Matos was interviewed on Radio AM570 The Mission, The Kevin McCullough radio show
- April 24, 2018 – Mr. Matos Presented at the Webinar: “Renting Church Property: Opportunities, Pitfalls and Tax Consequences”. It was hosted by Practical Resources for Churches (PRC) and you may access the recording here:
- October 16, 2016 – Mr. Matos presented at The Interchurch Center: 2nd Annual Important Updates on the Laws that Affect Religious Organizations
Disclaimer: Please be advised that contacting Capell Barnett Matalon & Schoenfeld LLP or any of its attorneys does not create an attorney-client relationship without our prior written agreement.